Sunday, January 1, 2012

Book Review - Sunrise on the Battery

I have found that I love reviewing books.  I may not be good at it and sometimes I even ruin the ending for some people but I love talking about books I have read, especially those I really enjoyed reading.

This year I will try to review a book a month.

I just completed "Sunrise on the Battery".  I couldn't read it fast enough.  I loved this book.  A pair of high-school sweethearts has married and busted their tails to overcome rough backgrounds and be accepted into the upper levels of Charleston, South Carolina society.

Mary Lynn is a convenient Christian.  While she attends Bible study with a friend and goes to church occasionally, she thinks about God and she should live for Him when it is convenient for her.  She and her husband have a plan to raise three well rounded daughters according to the standards of high society.

Jackson, a self-made man, puts up with his wife attending church and Bible study.  He is busy building the life he never had and is focused on giving his daughters everything.  God has never helped him so why should he be worried about God.

Then Mary Lynn prays for her husband to know God. And God answers. Big Time.

I highly recommend this book.  It is a quick read, but the story has you cheering for each character.  Your heart will be filled with understanding for Mary Lynn. You will want to encourage the daughters. You just want Jackson to understand what he is missing by trying to have it all.

After you have finished this book, if you are married, you will want to sit down and have a long talk, really listening and communicating, with your spouse.  You will take a look and different areas in your life and wonder about your own goals as a family and an individual.

I would love for Beth Webb Hart, the author of this novel, to write sequels to this book from the different perspective of each of the daughters and how the changes that happened in this book affected their lives and how their lives turned out.

I love it when a book leaves you wanting to know "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.  Sunrise on the Battery does just that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the super review, this one sounds like a winner! Can't wait to read your next review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wish I was a reader. Maybe someday I'll grow up to be like my reading girls!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. always glad to read a book review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete